Tuesday, 9 October 2012

I Caught The Cushion Bug.

So as predicted, I have caught the cushion bug, and I caught it bad. They are just so easy to make, but can look so effective!

I had a number of cushions on my bed at home, that had been given to me by various people long ago, that were so mismatched and random, and totally didn't fit the look of my room. So I set about to rectify this situation.

Once again, I raided my mothers amazing sewing room for bits and bobs and spare bits of fabric (the white of the elephant cushion is an old sheet with holes in it). All of the cushions are just simple envelope cushions (using the same method seen here).

 To create the top cover, I simply Machine stitched the design to the cover using a zig-zag stitch in a contrasting color (in this case, pink against the blue floral fabric) to minimize fraying.
The second cover was one my mother made for me years ago, and as there was nothing wrong with the cover itself, I decided to keep, but customize it. Using pinking shears to minimize fraying, I cut hearts from the same fabric as the bottom cushion (with one contrasting heart in the same fabric of the elephants) I then hand stitched them too the cover. Ideally I would have liked to have been able to zig-zag them, like the elephants, but that would have been impossible due to the cover being already made. I could have appliqued them by hand, folding under the edges to stop fraying, but unfortunately, I lack the patience. Thankfully I actually quite like the effect of the pinking shears, so its all good.
The final and simplest cushion is just a simple envelope cushion in a pretty blue floral fabric- I thought it was such a lovely fabric, there was no need to embellish it any further with any applique.

I'm so pleased with the results, and I feel like the use of the matching fabrics really ties it all together, and fits in perfectly with the rest of my little blue room (it helps that the fabrics also match the bunting over my desk).

Much Love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment