Tuesday 17 March 2015

DISCOVER | The National Gallery, London

Sooo, things have been a little quiet in The Attic recently, mostly because I've been crazy busy having adventures, and also maybe a little bit because I've been too scared to post anything after the success of my last post - since then everything I've tried to write has seemed a little inconsequential.

Buut, I think enough time has probably passed now that I can get back to my normal waffling..

A little over a month ago now I was lucky enough to find myself with a free ticket to London town; and finding myself with a little time to kill, I headed straight to the nearest museum. Obviously.


The National Gallery is super easy to get too (literally right outside the exit to the Trafalgar tube station), and free to visit (and warm and dry!), so is the perfect place to while away a few hours in the city.


According to Google The National is considered quite small compared to other galleries in Europe, but I prefer to think of it as the perfect size for a gentle morning stroll.

Packed full of famous pieces, The National is the place to come to check out work by the likes of Monet, or Van Gogh.

The Water-Lily Pond, Monet, 1899
Mr & Mrs Andrews, Gainsborough, 1750
Ulysses deriding Polyphemus, Turner, 1829

I was really excited to see Rousseau's 'Suprised', which I remembered from a picture book I had as a little girl; seeing things like art for reals is always so cool.

Suprised!, Rousseau, 1891
A Wheatfield, with Cypresses, Van Gogh, 1889
(they did have the sunflowers, but I actually preferred this one)

I did have a slight kerfuffle whilst I was there.. I'd been there like half an hour, and couldn't work out why I hadn't seen anything recognisable yet. Well, it turned out that all the areas I'd been avoiding because they were surrounded by clusters of kids on school trips were the very pieces I'd been looking for (which totally made sense once I thought about it..). So I had to go round again. So yeah. Don't do that.



Having had my fill of art, I headed over of The National Theater on the south bank to watch DV8's latest production.

DV8, for those of you who don't know, is an experimental  physical theatre/dance company, who produce challenging performance pieces which 'push boundaries, and re-examine the roles and relationships of men and women in our society' -British Council

I don't really know why I'm telling you all that in a post about an art gallery, but basically, if have any interest in modern theatre or dance, and you get a chance to see anything by DV8, please do take it! You'll be challenged, but you'll probably love it!

Much Love,
Jess
xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment