The party was black tie, and since I hadn't been to a black tie event since school, I set about trying to find the perfect dress. But try as I might, I couldn't find anything I liked!
Finally, inspired by this Instagram by The Londoner (yes, my celebrities are bloggers, I really am that sad), and a link to this dress, I thought I had found the one.
Sadly, when the dress arrived, it was half a size too small, and way to revealing for a party that would be attended by all four of my grandparents, not to mention a whole host of aunts, uncles, and family friends!
So. I decided to make my own version.
I ordered up some bamboo silk from Ray Stitch, and set about making a pattern.
I can't really give any insturctions here, because as ever, I made it up as I went along..
And according to my mamma -the real seamstress of the family- I did a terrible job.
Apparently, I should have paid more attention to the weave of the fabric, (rather than just cutting wherever the pattern fitted within the two meters of fabric I ordered..), because that would have given it more strength, and made it hang better, and would have made hemming much easier...
To be fair. Hemming was a total faff.
The hem aside, I was so so happy with the result!
Sure, there are bits I would do differently if I was to do it again*, but for a first attempt, I was pretty chuffed with myself!
*Buy a longer zip for one. The one I used was probably an inch shorter than it needed to be, so getting the dress over my head is a bit of a kerfuffle, but the one I used was already the second one I had bought for the project, and I just really couldn't be bothered to go back for a third..