Wednesday 13 August 2014

'I heart my kanken'

This post is not an outfit post.

This just happens to be my current go-to outfit, and happily these photo's work well to illustrate the point I am trying to make here.

This is a post about me. Sorry. ;)


When I began this blog all that time ago, it wasn't about me. It was about the stuff I made. And that was cool. Except that as time went on, I began to find it restrictive; if I wasn't making things (you can't be creative allllll the time!), I couldn't blog, and that made me sad. So slowly, over time it has become more about me, and the stuff that I do, and the things that I see.

'Cept that there is a huge part of my life that I don't really share here. And I feel like for the sake of honesty, I should probably mention it.


I work 9-6, 5 days a week in a camping shop. I sell outdoor kit to DofE kids, ramblers, climbers and everyone else in between. I'll be honest, when I started, I wasn't super keen on the outside (sure, I'd done my DofE, and I was a farmers daughter, but still..), but as time has gone on, I've found myself becoming increasingly involved in that community. From getting sent on training course (2 days paid climbing in wales anyone?), to making the most of my staff discount, I can no longer deny that that place is a part of my life.


So I guess that is what this post is about. Addressing the two sides of my personality. The side that likes calligraphy, crochet, and a good cup of tea, and the side of me that knows what hydrostatic head means, and how GoreTex works..(ish)


That's why I'm so in love with this rucksack, its a practical piece of kit (handbags are the worst!), but I don't look like I'm off to climb a mountain when I wear it round town. It really combines the two parts of me. Jess doing work, and Jess doing Jess. (I think for a while there I lost my head, and swung too far into Jess at work mode, and I really thank this blog, and the whole community for bringing me back to me.)

I don't really know how to finish this post. I don't feel like there are any conclusions to draw here (though I can tell you that it felt very therapeutic to write, and is probably the easiest post I have ever written; the words just flowed). I guess I just wanted you to know all the sides of who I am. And at least now there's a plausible explanation if ever I'm pictured in a waterproof, or some sensible walking shoes (I hate that I've been so easily swayed by function over fashion. It took probably less than a week of working in my practical-but-hideous trainers to discover that all the shoes I own are horribly uncomfortable to actually walk in!)

Thank you so much for letting me share that with you :)

Much Love
Jess
xxxx

Oh, and P.S that kanken is like basically the best thing I have ever bought, if you fancy one for yourself, you can pick one up here.

No comments:

Post a Comment